Thursday 7 February 2008

Old and dying Christianity?

I was SHOCKED today to read these quotes from The Healing Reawakening (Francis MacNutt):

Visiting London last year at Christmas time, our family had a hard time finding even a Christmas card, and the religious section of the bookstores was a tiny section mainly populated by a few books on spiritualism ... 44 percent of the British population no longer claim any religious affiliation (in 2000), and two-thirds of those 18 to 24 are nonreligious ... the general feeling you get is that Christianity is old and dying.

I already know these facts, but it was seeing them on paper - facts noticed by overseas visitors not that long ago! But I don't despair! However 'old and dying Christianity is' in the West just now, I take daily encouragement from my favourite prophet Elijah, who was often down-hearted and depressed, feeling he was one of the only ones left in the area to love and serve God. But God knew different!

Elijah was totally unaware that not far away thousands of worshippers were refusing to bow down to Baal... The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too. 1 Kings 19:10 NIV

When shadows fall and dark the night...
Lord, grant me courage, make me strong,
however steep the way, and long. Song 719

2 comments:

jsi said...

I contend that people are still asking spiritual questions, searching for spiritual answers, desiring God's activity within their lives.
Christianity cannot be contained within a generation or a building.
Or a statistical trend.
But it may not always appear to everyone as it always has.

John Ager said...

It reinforces the fact that we need to show authentic Christianity in our lives and in our Christian fellowships. John.