Wednesday 11 June 2008

Places I have lived in the UK - Irthlingborough

This is the town I lived in when I first came to England from Chile in 1976.

I have very happy memories of Irthlingborough. There was a fish and chip shop that smelt great and gave you plenty crispy bits with your fish! There was a wonderful corner shop with sweets I had never seen before and lots of ice-creams. The ice cream van had a lovely tune to call customers. I liked the smell from chimneys as you walked about. I used to help clean the library, and the staff at the Co-op were like an extension of your family! Everyone in the town seemed to know everyone and everything about everybody but it felt strangely reassuring! I used to go to The Salvation Army there and would get to it by walking across the fields and avoiding the cows! My grandma has now passed away but she was great looking after me when I first came to England and lived with her for nearly two years. We had lots of fun together but I did not like her pilchard curry - it was disgusting! Nana introduced me to Rainbow, Crossroads , and salad cream! The Salvation Army there is doing well.

God Bless Divisional Envoy John Farrar who ministers there!

Have you ever been to Irthlingborough?

No comments: