Friday 20 June 2008

Places I have lived in the UK - Filey

I lived in Filey for three years whilst working full time in the Salvation Army in Mitford Street. My daughter was born in Scarborough Hospital Maternity Unit. I knew this place very well as I had to stay there throughout my pregnancy. Sarah was 4.2lbs (Caesarean section)and came home a couple of weeks later. Again, no breasfeeding. So really it is no good asking me questions about giving birth, etc...as I did not really experience all the normal things. She was so healthy the unit let her come home before reaching the 5lbs.!

I remember feeling rather annoyed because whilst in intensive care for three scary days (for John!) I was told that the catholic priest had given me the last rites...? That was not what upset me but the fact that I was not covered up whilst he was doing this!!! Whenever I saw him after that I would try to avoid him! hehehe!


We had a lovely time in Filey and found the people hard working and passionate about witnessing which they did particularly in the summer on the beach and with holiday makers. The food at the Salvation Army was always great and the volunteers and helpers wonderful people. The Singers which still sing now were rather special. One season the wind on the Country Park was so strong that my parents caravan nearly blew away! Filey was also gorgeous in the snow, specially down the ravine. Philip enjoyed walking to the Brigg!

It is good to hear that the Salvation Army there is still doing so well and thriving!

No comments: