Wednesday 25 June 2008

Places I have lived in the UK - Gosport

Gosport was very different to any other place where I had lived. It was not a seaside resort, it was not a valley, it was not inland and it was in the south coast! I loved the water, the ferry, the boats, the ships, Lee on the Solent, seeing the Isle of Wight and crossing over to the island occasionally for officers fellowship or days out.

The hall was (and still is) unfortunately in extremely poor condition yet it did not stop the people from organizing activities and getting on with things enthusiastically. The community work was extensive specially at Christmas thanks to the Community Care Leaders, and the toddlers which they also led, a joy to visit. The War Cry rounds undertaken were excellent making regular, faithful contacts.

The Alpha course was and I think still is a yearly event bringing lots of new people in. The monthly Jumble Sale brings some memories. I will never forget the electric buggy that went out of control during a sale, no one was hurt!

The people there were interested in us and our family, and that felt very good. People attended Roots and Butlins regularly, and the weekly prayer group which was often eventful, usually disturbed by sirens, meant we never had to raise our voices as the Lord could hear our prayers!

The Friday Club for children was a most interesting night. People took it in turns to help and the children though noisy and troublesome! were miraculously well behaved when with us and a joy to be with. So many children came that they had two sessions a night. Kids Alive were given as they went out. I helped with crafts or tuck shop - my favourite - specially when they wanted 50p worth of assorted penny sweets. Great Singing Company and Young People leading meetings. Though some have now moved on I hear that they are very involved in other Corps.

I could go on but I will get into trouble mentioning some things and not others, understandably!
Weddings, Funerals, Retirements and Enrolments, Transfers and Farewells, Parties, Celebrations, big New Years' Eve Parties... so many things happened whilst there but then that's the circle of life!

I recently heard that Gosport Corps is doing well so I am very pleased and Pray God's blessing over everyone there.

God is Good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NIc eblog. Liked the local interest. There are so many great places to go and things to do in Hampshire & Dorset.
You should come back soon.

Marta Ager said...

Thanks. There are many places I never got round to visiting so I perhaps will plan a trip south!